Go Back   harlequinrip.com Community > Harlequin RIP Products

Old 24 February 2010, 14:12

Default ECRM Rip 7.1 Troubles...Harlequin 14 License issue?

About 3 out of 4 times when I try to start up the RIP program, it gives me a "License Server Failure" message, then a "Fatal Security Device Failure" message. It gives me the option to look at the License Manager, doing so shows me that there are no licenses running, and that it doesn't see the dongle attached to the LPT port.
When the program chooses to open nicely for me, checking the License Manager reveals that the Harlequin RIP - PostScript Interpreter - Version 14 license is running...but that it still doesn't see the dongle. I am, however able to output films anyway...most of the time. Sometimes it hits me with an error message and rejects something(its been everything from PSD channels to CDR objects), and after that will give the same error to everything else I try to output, and continually says "ERROR IN CONFIG FILE." Only resetting the RIP program seems to help...which starts the cycle all over again.

The hardware I'm using is an ECRM 4600 Mako, attached to (I think) an Adaptec SCSI card. The dongle is attached to the onboard LPT1 port. The RIP software is the only non-pre-loaded program installed onto the computer, which meets or beats all recommended specs outlined in the manual.

While the license error is my main concern, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Old 24 February 2010, 16:09

Default Remote Desktop at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimenc View Post
When the program chooses to open nicely for me, checking the License Manager reveals that the Harlequin RIP - PostScript Interpreter - Version 14 license is running...but that it still doesn't see the dongle. I am, however able to output films anyway...
If this is a Windows machine, are you using Remote Desktop?

The Sentinel dongle drivers consider a Remote Desktop session to be, err... remote, and don't allow it to access the dongle.

The symptom you describe - HLS offering a permit and RIP able to run, but License Manager saying it can't see the dongle - is typical of Remote Desktop confusing the issue.

Providing the HLS service was started 'locally' (e.g. automatically after a reboot) it sees the dongle and therefore offers a permit to the RIP, even though the 'remote' License Manager can't see the dongle.

In short, if you are using remote desktop, then Licence Manager failing to see the dongle doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem.

Quote:
and after that will give the same error to everything else I try to output
But you don't say exactly what that error is:-(

Quote:
and continually says "ERROR IN CONFIG FILE."
ERROR IN CONFIG FILE is often, but by no means always, related to dongle problems, so it might be worth updating your dongle drivers before doing anything else.

Cheers,
Derek.
Old 24 February 2010, 18:20

Not using remote desktop at all. The error that constantly pops up is something to the effect of "Error when printing to ECRM, do you want to retry?", then in the window the ERROR IN CONFIG FILE message starts up. Also, a little progress box appears, saying Precision Screening: Halftone Caching, with the progress bar stuck in the middle.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the dongle...we got the whole system used, and the dongle looks like its at least 15 years old.
Old 10 September 2010, 15:31

I have a similar problem with a USB Dongle and I am wondering if anyone can shed light on it?

I currently have the Torrent Rip working but if I restart I get 'fatal security device failure', even though the dongle is visible in the license manager.

The log reports: NO FREE LICENSES

Looking in the license manager when I manage to trick Torrent in to working I have a message in the log saying

POSTSCRIPT INTERPRETER 1:1 LICENSE REVOKED
POSTSCRIPT INTERPRETER 1:1 OUT (NODE LOCKED)
: BAD PRODUCT

The fact I tried this with two separate installations on two separate machines that I know were working points to the dongle. What is the procedure to have a new dongle shipped, is there any other test I can do to check if it is faulty?

The problem is intermittent but more often than not it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10 September 2010, 19:09

Default Medic may not help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymercho View Post
What is the procedure to have a new dongle shipped, is there any other test I can do to check if it is faulty?
To get a replacement dongle you need to go through the RIP distributor, or failing that the OEM (Highwater in this instance).

About the only troubleshooting tool is the Sentinel Advanced Medic, but it only checks basic connectivity.
(Download from: http://www.safenet-inc.com/Support_a...l_Drivers.aspx)
Note that Sentinel Protection Server and Sentinel Keys server are normally not installed, so ignore any failures the medic reports for them; In fact it's preferable that Medic says they're not installed.

Connect USB dongles directly to a port on the machine, not through a Hub of any kind - low port power can cause intermittent problems.
Old 12 September 2010, 09:35

Thanks, I did use the sentinel tool to check connectivity and as you say it does quite rudimentary checking. It reports the presence of the dongle and not much else.

I had a look at the command line tool hqn_lsa or hqn_lsd? and it also reports the correct license similar to the GUI version, obviously one of these is the service used by the License Manager to report status.

I have a PC here as a testing platform that has nothing installed on it, so I decided to try a fresh install of the torrent rip. This went smoothly and drivers installed OK, I inserted the dongle and launched the app but still received the same Fatal Error.

I thought this may eliminate the possibility of there being a problem with the machine the rip is installed on. It seems a pretty robust system and if the dongle works the application will load.

This is pointing towards the dongel in my limited experience, although I did set this rip up originally. I suppose it is not unheard of for a dongle to go south?

I have an old work colleague who used to install HQ rips so now I have checked all I can I'll probably have to hand it over to him to get a new dongle issued!
Old 29 September 2010, 07:28

erm... spam.

I thought somebody else had the same issues as me, it was like looking in a mirror!?

(Updated by moderator)
You were quite right that the offending post (earlier) was Spam - I've disposed of it.
sorry for not getting rid of it earlier.
Derek.

Last edited by Derek Pool; 8 June 2011 at 11:08. Reason: Confirm spam removed.
Old 8 June 2011, 06:47

Same problem here. Our reseller is asking some $900 for new dongle!
Old 8 June 2011, 13:26

Default Try the latest dongle drivers?

Have you guys tried the latest Sentinel drivers?

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-d...tinel-drivers/

but take care just to install the Parallel and USB drivers, not the Sentinel Protection Server, Sentinel Keys Server or Sentinel Security Runtime.

When the "Setup Type" screen appears, choose "Custom" and then on the "Custom Setup" screen ensure that everything except "Sentinel System Drivers" is marked with a red 'X' - if necessary, click on the small downward-facing triangle alongside the other features and choose "This feature will not be available"

You might want to uninstall all Sentinel products before doing the above.

I recall there were some problems with some of the 7.5.0 drivers, so make sure you're using 7.5.1 or later.

Cheers,
Derek.