Go Back   harlequinrip.com Community > Harlequin RIP Products

Old 12 June 2008, 11:56

Default AppleTalk support for Windows 2008

What's the story with AppleTalk?

With Windows 2000, or 2003 Server support for Appletalk protocol is included, I've heard that there is no AppleTalk in Windows 2008 Server and I'm wondering what we are supposed to do without Appletalk input. We still use this for font downloading and printing jobs from a couple of older Mac workstations.

Eventually I want to upgrade our RIP server, and Hardware and Windows 2008 would be the likely OS. What is the Harlequin solution? Or maybe we should be looking at a 3rd party solution (Dave, or MacLan). Not too expensive either 'cos it used to be free!
Old 16 June 2008, 12:26

This is an unofficial reply, Philip, and things might change.

The Appletalk story has been difficult because the Miramar (now PC MacLan) stack that we used for earlier releases of the product was discontinued, and does not work on Vista (or, by extension, Server 2008). We have been investigating and have a possible solution "in our sights", but so far nothing has been finalised.

Hope this helps,

Ruth
Old 16 June 2008, 19:29

Default Appletalk

Maybe you could elucidate the font downloading part of your dilemma. Do you use fonts that require their own downloading tool and its appletalk only? Or something?

In any case, I can tell you how to print from OS9 to a windows harlequin RIP without appletalk if that helps.

You don't need appletalk for printing from OS9 (and certainly not from OSX). If you are concerned that the users will be frightened off by a non-standard print interface - they won't even know they aren't using appletalk. It's still chooser-based but it uses IP.
It passes your "free" test too.
Do you want me to post that or are you thinking along different lines?
Old 17 June 2008, 15:45

Hi Eric
I am interested in your method of font downloading from OS 9 to an Hqn rip without the using AppleTalk. But at the moment we don't have a problem. It's when we upgrade to Server 2008 that the issue will arise.
Old 19 June 2008, 21:04

Philip,

I said "In any case, I can tell you how to *print* from OS9 to a windows harlequin RIP without appletalk if that helps."

I don't have a solution to download your fonts without appletalk because I don't know what fonts you are using.
If your fonts require appletalk downloading for some reason (perhaps due to copy protection) then I would need more information.

Otherwise you can just use the "install fonts" command in the rip. Mac fonts won't be readily seen by this because the dialog box is looking initially for Windows fonts. You can switch to *.* all files and see mac fonts here.

Eric
Old 27 June 2008, 10:05

Yes, please let me know how you would print from OS9 to Windows. I guess you would "publish" the RIP or something like that?
Old 1 August 2008, 13:36

Default here's the answer

Sorry it took so long. Vacation erased this conversation from my mind temporarily.
These two documents describe everything you would need to know in order to print from OS9 into a Windows RIP without Appletalk.

http://www.xitron.com/Support/Doco/N...ns/TB04-03.pdf

http://www.xitron.com/Support/Doco/N...s/TB05-010.pdf